Feng (George) Yu, Ph.D.
Computer Science and Information Systems
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, OH 44555
Phone: 330 941 One Seven Seven Five
Email: fyu AT csis DOT ysu DOT edu
Dr. Yu completed the Ph.D. degree in Computer Science at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL in May 2013. His Ph.D. thesis focused on query processing and optimization in database management systems. He received an M.S. degree in Mathematics from Shandong University, Jinan, China in 2008 and a B.S. degree in Information and Computational Science from Northeastern University, Shenyang, China in 2005.
Dr. Yu has published many papers in high-quality journals and conferences such as the International Journal of Big Data, BMC genomics, IEEE Big Data, SIGMOD, DEXA, etc. His paper was awarded the Best Paper Award of the International Conference of Software Engineering and Data Engineering (SEDE) in 2019. He serves as a reviewer and an associate editor for scholarly journals and a committee member of international conferences. His research was supported by external funding sources including Amazon Inc. and the Computer Research Association.
Dr. Yu serves as the Campus Champion of NSF Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE) at YSU. His services include helping YSU researchers to apply for computing grants in XSEDE and use its vast supercomputing resources. In addition, he has been collaborating with XSEDE and Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) to bring national workshop series on High-Performance Computing (HPC) to YSU since 2014.
YSU Data Lab is a research lab focusing on the research of data-oriented sciences. We conduct multiple cutting-edge research projects in this lab. Our lab is also conducting multiple high-performance research clouds including Sarah Cloud and YSU STEM Cloud.
- Database Management Systems
- Query Processing and Query Optimization
- Semi-Structured Databases
- Big Data Management and Analytics
- Approximate Query Processing
- NoSQL Databases
- Data Science
- Analytics of Social and Business Data
- Cloud Computing
- Cloud-Based Data Management
- Hybrid Cloud Infrastructure
Hornors and Awards
- Best Paper Award, 28th International Conference on Software Engineering and Data Engineering (SEDE’19),2019, San Diego, CA, USA
- Distinguished Professor in Scholarship, Youngstown State University, 2020
- Research Professorship, Youngstown State University, 2015-2016, 2016-2017, 2018-2019, 2019-2020
- Featured Reviewer, ACM Computing Reviews, October, 2016